The Results (Long)

Subject: The Results (Long)
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:49:20 -0400

Hi,

Ive been reading all the messages regarding finding the "perfect writer" by
interviewing people who are not real writers or are just too unprofessional
to look at (dress wise).

Just a piece of advice;
with most of the employers Ive been interviewed for tech writing jobs, Ive
had to write one hour "tests". That was considered a pass or a fail to
become a future writer for that company. Most tests have been a question or
two on "how-to" tests such as if the company was a telecom company I would
be asked to write as much as I can on how to install a feature on a cell
phone or how to login to the software. I know that people would not know
most of the products of your company but a good "employee" would do some
research on the company before going for the interview...

Most companies here in Montreal give tests to be done (the ones Ive been to
anyways). It's not just the resume that looks good, the education or even
the STC membership that can land you the perfect writing job.

Most of the time, it is people with the least writing experience who land
the senior jobs and that is one of the biggest mistake. The filtering was
not properly done. Once the person is on the job, employees realize that the
writer had really no writing experience.

Im just saying that you should write up a test for each person that comes in
for the interview (after you have screened them by resume) and that way you
will find the perfect writer with the perfect writing skills that you want.
Hopefully, a great personality comes along with it.

hope this helps,
Grace