Re:

Subject: Re:
From: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:11:41 +0200

An interview is no different from going to a wedding or a funeral, really. When
I go to an interview, I'm taking up somebody's time (to say nothing of making a
good impression). The interviewer is taking up my time (and, if I seem a likely
candidate, trying to convince me to sign). As a sign of respect to each other,
we both should be reasonably dressed.

But what is 'reaonably'? You have your opinion about that, other people obviously have others.

I'm not saying that you aren't entitled to your opinion, just that you shouldn't judge other people by it. This may both be unfair to those people as well as make life unneccessarily unpleasant for yourself.

Example: What if you had an interview with the prime minister of Bermuda and he showed up in pinstriped shorts? You may be offended, but to him it's just standard business attire.

Put another way: Rules of the game change and there is more than one game out there. "It was always thus" is - IMHO - a rather feeble reason to be offended. I'd save the emotion for more worthwile cases :-)

Regards
Jan Henning

Jan Henning
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 700 0200 0700, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: henning -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de