RE: Screen shots for online help

Subject: RE: Screen shots for online help
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:41:43 -0400

Goober Writer [mailto:gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com]
> If a screen shot EXPLAINS something, then by all
> means, show it in the Help. If it's just a "you are
> here" or "this is the screen" graphic, I fail to see
> the usefulness...

It's not about Help, but... we supply a product that's
used on a variety of platforms. The Windows users
always get several pages of installation instructions,
including screen-shots.

For the same task, users of Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, and
Linux get a few lines of numbered steps and... done.
(We have no products for the Mac.)

Jeez, we used to be able to sneer at MS and AOL users
(for the degree of comprehension and associated handholding),
but now both companies are big customers, so I have to
watch my step... and hope they don't check the archives...

<gdr&h>

/kevin