Re: interviews and ethics

Subject: Re: interviews and ethics
From: "Jan Cohen" <familyforever -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:31:54 -0400

> > Goober Writer asked "...Have you ever been to a job interview only to
find
> > out later that the company flat out lied to you?..."

I don't know if I'd call it a "lie," perhaps plausible denial, but when I
was hired for the job I'm currently doing, I wasn't told that the GREAT
private company which was hiring me had just been bought out by one of the
mega-giants. Actually, the acquisition became final my first day on the
job.

So there I was, surrounded by a 1,000 or so old-school people bragging and
boasting about how much better they did things than the company which just
bought them. And when faced with this new company's procedures, procedures
that weren't necessarily agreed with locally, those same people would
complain and complain and complain. Me, I kept my mouth shut, not
particularly happy about what I was doing, did my job, and did it well.
That was 1999.

Then the axe started to fall, people were chopped left and right. One of
the last people to go locally was my ex-boss, the one who hired me, one of
those adamnant to change (his leaving was like rubbing Preparation-H on a
sore behind).

Today, I like what I'm doing, and the niche I fell into with the mega-giant.
Since we've gone from 100,000 to under 40,000, it's a lot easier to get
noticed if you're doing a good job, and great opportunities abound.

That is, if you're of "the world is my oyster" mindset.

Jan Cohen