Acrobat 6 complaints

Subject: Acrobat 6 complaints
From: M Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:21:13 -0700

All,

I thought someone might find something useful in my recent experiences with Acrobat 6, which is the new version. Also, if you can solve any of these things, please speak!

- There are now two versions of Acrobat: Standard and Professional. You have to buy Professional to get Acrobat Catalog (which indexes multiple PDFs and speeds up searches), even though nothing I could find on the Adobe website that informed me of this. I figured it out the hard way. (But a miracle occurred: I convinced Fry's to give me a store credit on the opened software!!)

- Links to external PDF files are flaky. A link in a PDF file to a specific page in another PDF file does not work in Acrobat 6 or Adobe Reader 6. The external PDF file is opened to the first page, but it does not take you to the defined page within the file. These same links, when attempted in Acrobat 4 or 5, work as expected. Interestingly, you can create one of these links in Acrobat 6 and have it work in earlier versions, but not in version 6.

- The index generated by version 6's Catalog is not compatible with earlier versions of Reader (I tried it with 4 and 5). The index works with Reader 6, though.

- I don't know if a version 6 Catalog index will work with the current Unix/Linux Readers, which are not up to 6 yet, but I suspect it won't. The index files themselves look very different from version 4 and 5 indexes.

- The new Acrobat 6 Search features, however, is an improvement over the old one. But I reinstalled Acrobat 5 to remain compatible with what I need to do.

Respectfully,
Mark Giffin