RE: Please explain this phrase

Subject: RE: Please explain this phrase
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:40:45 -0400

John Cornellier
>Just curious, are any of you in the US or elsewhere using the feet &
inches >system in manufacturing? Eric? Raise your hands.

I'd have answered more quickly, but I couldn't type with my hands in the
air.

The company I'm with now is using feet & inches, the company I worked
for before this used feet & inches. There, the manuals went to an
international audience, so measurements were given in feet & inches
first, with metric as a parenthetical follow-up.

I'm pretty sure all US defense contractors are still using feet and
inches.

>It sounds unnecessarily risky for a US company to ask a foreign
>subcontractor (with a factory tooled out in millimetres) to produce
things >specified in thirty-seconds of an inch.

This is one reason why parts are closely inspected upon arrival.

--Rick Lippincott
FLIR Systems
Billerica, MA