Versions of Windows

Subject: Versions of Windows
From: "Goldstein, Dan" <DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L (E-mail)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:59:29 -0400

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026 (about the Blaster worm) includes this
gem:

<snip>
A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to
compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain control over it.
You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft.

Products Affected by This Update:
Windows NT® 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows Server(tm) 2003

Products Not Affected by This Update
Windows Millennium (Windows Me)

Note: Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition (SE), and Windows 95 also are
not affected by this issue. However, these products are no longer supported.
Users of these products are strongly encouraged to upgrade to later
versions.
</snip>

In other words, users of the products that are not affected by the worm are
strongly encouraged to upgrade to the versions that are.

Personally, I have Win98SE at home, and I hope to have it for years to come.

Dan Goldstein

(Thanks to EM for pointing this out)