Re: interviews and ethics

Subject: Re: interviews and ethics
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:09:11 -0700 (PDT)

Interviewing kinda stinks because, as an employee, I
am not good at it and poorly practiced.

I have never seen anyone threaten their employer with
leaving in order to get a raise, not any tech writers
certainly. If I were the employer, I'd let them go,
realizing that I'd failed to make their employment
attractive and failed, already, to make the employee
want to stay.

I know many who keep their hands in, with no urgency
or real intention of leaving--but they would if the
offer were right. None of these folks interview with
companies they would not work for if the money and
situation were right. And, given the utter lack of
employer-to-employee loyalty these days, why not?!

I have seen employment deals--where candidate and
employee were a great match--fall through over
$10,000. I don't get that part. If both
invest--particularly the potential employer--in the
interview and pursuit, what's $10k in the big scheme
of things? 1% of the CEO's bonus? Really. At that
point, I don't understand why companies don't "make it
happen."

Before this gig, I interviewed with a company. I had
worked there before, many moons ago, out of college. I
knew their product, some of the people, culture, etc.
The fit was great. An offer was made. The $10k thing
got in the way. Seriously, what is with that?

Anyway, as I said, I'm no good at this
interview/hireing thang, and I guess it shows--is
tatooed to my forehead.

Cheers,

Sean

--- Dana Worley <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com> wrote:
> I have seen plenty of people go through the
> interview
> process, come back with a job offer, and then
> essentially "hold
> hostage" his/her current employer. ("I want a 15%
> raise or I'm taking
> this other job offer.") I've seen it happen; I've
> seen it work to the
> employee's advantage many times.
<snip>