correct placment of copyright information

Subject: correct placment of copyright information
From: "nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:07:20 -0400

Celia writes:
> I'm not any kind of a design expert, but from the
> mock ups we've all looked at, I don't like either
> of these options. The headings look muddy on screen,
> and too bold in print. The copyright issue may be OK,
> but it's so non-traditional that I'm not sure we
> should do it at all.

Conventional wisdom says that text in all caps is
harder to read than text that uses lowercase. But
a lot depends on the font, on the length of your
headings, and on other factors of your particular
work.

Copyright has become much less formalistic than it
used to be, but originally the copyright material
was indeed supposed to be on the front page. Putting
the copyright material on the back of the front page
was permitted on the grounds that the back can be
considered an extension of the front.

In a book being read on screen, maintaining a whole
separate page for the sake of a few copyrights and
acknowledgements at the bottom might be considered
less elegant than putting everything on the front
page. Here too, though, factors of your particular
work come into play... how much material is there,
how important is a pretty front page, etc. etc.

JMHO, YMMV, and good luck.

Mark L. Levinson
Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

http://mail2web.com/ .