RE: The last minute crunch

Subject: RE: The last minute crunch
From: "Hoyt, Karen" <Karen -dot- Hoyt -at- pyxis -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:24:39 -0700

From: Samuel Choy [mailto:schoy -at- us -dot- ibm -dot- com]

<<What do I do those gazillion hours? Things like last minute comments and
requests from developers, "Say Sam, I just thought of this....." Each one
is small, but they all add up.>>

I define dependencies and contingencies in the documentation plan, and then keep my word about pushing out dates if the developers don't meet theirs, or if they make unexpected demands or changes after the project has been scoped.

I try to be flexible about things that are truly small (and sometimes "small change" and "large change" have to literally be defined in writing). Plus I can't slip my own deadlines/milestones. But really, this usually works out well. Generally, the developers are more than willing to make schedule changes once they realize what a big impact a couple of those "little things" really have. And after a couple of missed deadlines or schedule revisions, some developers learn the benefit of defining documentation needs early in the process.

Naturally, it works better with some developers than with others, and you have to have a supportive supervisor for it to work.

Hope that helps,

Karen Hoyt