RE: business analyst?

Subject: RE: business analyst?
From: France Baril <France -dot- Baril -at- ixiasoft -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 15:05:13 -0400

Andrea asked:
Any tech writers out there ever worked as a business analyst?

I have done some work as a Business Analyst in my last job. People with different backgrounds worked on projects: accounting, administration, law, computer science, and me (mixed of computer science and communication). To me, it seemed like the two job profiles (TW and BA) are compatible. You write about the product, but you have more power over solving issues.

If you want to know if you are right for the job, you might find the following sites useful.

Business Analyst Skills Evaluation
http://www.waldentesting.com/infotechtests/other/busan.htm

eWeek article about Business Analysts (April 2003)

I like this one: "Ideally, an IT business analyst is both tech-savvy and a great communicator because these two sides of a company often speak very different languages." Sounds like a job for TWs to me!