Re: How to change the preferred mail tool in Mozilla Firebird?

Subject: Re: How to change the preferred mail tool in Mozilla Firebird?
From: Guy <guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 00:27:05 -0700

Seven of you [thanks, all] offered help, but none quite did the job.

So, I posted my question in the MozillaZine forum, and had a reply from
Andrew Benton, who pointed me to

http://texturizer.net/firebird/faq.html#4.9

which had the answer, plain as day.

4.9 E-mail links doesn't seem to work in Mozilla Firebird?

If you're using Mozilla as your mail client, you've probably noticed that Mozilla Firebird either doesn't do anything or it starts Outlook Express when you click on a mailto link. This is because Mozilla Mail doesn't correctly register itself as the default mailto protocol handler on Windows. You will have to fix this manually.

In Windows XP/2000, select Folder Options in the Control Panel, then click on the File Types tab. Here, browse to the file type called (None) URL:MailTo Protocol and click Advanced. Select the open action and click Edit. Here, uncheck the Use DDE option and specify the full path to mozilla.exe in the Application used to perform action field. Enclose the path in quotation marks and append -compose %1. The result should look something like this:
"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" -compose %1

Now, I'm using Win98, but translating that into 98ese was simple:
Double-click My Computer.
Select View > Folder Options.
Select the File Types tab.
Scroll down to the URL:MailTo Protocol entry and select it.
Click Edit.
In the Edit File Type dialog, select "open" from the Actions box.
Click Edit.
Replace what is in the "Application used to perform action:" box by:
"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe" -compose %1
Click the OKs to get back out of My Computer.
Done.

I'm all set.

--
Guy K. Haas
guy -at- hiskeyboard -dot- com | gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net