Re: Is being technical writer boring

Subject: Re: Is being technical writer boring
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 07:34:01 -0500

Louise wrote:

>Sorry if this has been discussed earlier - I did do a search and
couldn't
>find anything! :-)

>Currently working as a Microsoft systems administrator, I have been
>seriously considering a change of direction and becoming a technical
>writer. The response I get when I tell people my plan isn't very
>encouraging. The words 'boring' and 'dull' feature heavily in their
>response, so what I really want to know is 'is technical writing
>boring??'.

>Some people would consider being a sys admin dull, I'm sure - and
believe
>me there are days when I feel like repeatedly banging my head against
my
>desk, but I don't want to enter a profession that is going to bore me
>stupid from day one. From a personal point of view all my research
into
>technical writing has left me really wanting to do it (and I know there
>will be some dull and boring aspects of the work as in any job), but I
>want some advice from those already employed in this area before I
>seriously do anything about it.

I would have to say that I have never been bored working as a technical
writer. There have been times I have been bored working in another field
looking for work, but not when I have been in the game. I think the
reason I love what I do so much is that I simply love to write. I like
researching, interviewing, designing, and everything else that finds a
toehold. I could go on and on... and on about how much I enjoy being a
tech writer, but I will spare the masses and simply state that I love
what I do.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...