Elbonia (was: India)

Subject: Elbonia (was: India)
From: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:06:10 -0400

Let's just say all the jobs are moving to Elbonia. That way nobody can
accuse you of being ethnocentric (or worse). Because the truth is, jobs are
gravitating toward plenty of lower-cost countries, not just India. India is
just the first beneficiary and the largest, most obvious symbol of the
movement. But don't make India a whipping-boy.

Now everybody go out and buy a globe, and a world atlas.

I also worked with a US company that was owned by ex-Soviet emigres, and
they almost exclusively hired programmers on restrictive visas from the
former USSR. Fair? Legal? maybe not. But that's what is happening out there.

I have a handful of Indian and Pakistani friends I met on the job over the
last few years - some citizens, some on work visas. I helped one fellow
edit his resume to meet the H1-B requirements, so he could stay. I was
grateful for the opportunity to meet these people from other countries, and
I hope to work with more.

That said, as a US policy matter it's probably time for the H1-B/L1s to go
back and enjoy their homeland's new prosperity. And, US policy-makers should
examine other country's industrial policies and trade practices to make sure
there is truly a level playing field (although I have little faith this
would be wisely implemented).

Tech writing tie-in? The job movement in IT is the biggest issue in tech
writing and is *always* on topic, until it isn't anymore.

And if anybody feels offended, first read this quote by the eminent
Australian philosopher " B747SP":
http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=76730&cid=6837537

Mike O.

Go Elbonia!