Re: technical writer degree programs

Subject: Re: technical writer degree programs
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 11:11:10 -0700

We're all (usually) partial to those places where we have experience.

To be foar, I think (memory fades about such details) that the University of
Washington was a land grant university as well. Aren't most state
universities, especially in the midwest and west?

That said, a good degree program is largely a result of a combination of the
hard work of the instructors (and administrators) and the passions of the
students.

Chuck Martin

"Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com> wrote in message
news:211574 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

>If you were in the Seattle area, I'd point you to one of the best
programs
>in the country, at the University of Washington, where there's not only
>four-year TC degree, but Masters degrees in both TC and Technical
Japanese
>and a PH.D. program (I'm not sure if this is here yet or coming soon).
>Unlike many schools, which offer a TC-type degree as part of their
>Communications (or similar) school, at the UW, TC is not only a
full-fledged
>department, but it is part of the Engineering school (where the
discipline
>belongs).

First of all, I am partial to the University of Minnesota as being one
of the top in the country as well. The U of M also has a Master's
program and a PhD program. Unlike the U of W, the U of M houses their
S&TC degree in the Department of Rhetoric, which in turn is in the
College of Agriculture, Food, and Environmental Sciences. The reason the
Dept. of Rhet is in the College of Agriculture, is that the U of M is a
land-grant university, and because rhetoric is... well the art of
bs-ing, the powers that be thought it better go in COAFES rather than
the College of Liberal Arts or more closely affiliated with eh English
Department.

I would like to state that it should be in another college, much like
the U of W.