Re: India - wave of the future?

Subject: Re: India - wave of the future?
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 14:02:07 -0500

I found Geoff's diatribe fascinating. My husband has been telling me for several years that China will eventually be a power to be reckoned with, and our household is not allowed to purchase anything made in China.

I wanted to say that several people and I (all writers or software engineers) are learning kanji as a supplementation to our current bilingualism which is either Spanish or French. It is slow going, but none of us want to be forced into retirement at the ripe age of 40 or 45!

However at that ripe age all of us might be ex-pats somewhere.

Michele
--
Michele

"I've learned that sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand." Andy Rooney
www.krautgrrl.com

Hart, Geoff wrote:

The threat from China is even worse. I visited China last fall as part of a
delegation on technical communication, and it appears that university
graduation now requires basic competence in written English. The overall
standard of English is pretty low now, but that will change; some Chinese
kids are already studying English as early as 6 years old. Given low Chinese
wages and the determination of the Chinese to succeed, the lack of ethnic
strife (unlike in India), and the large amounts of money available to throw
at solving problems, you can expect a serious threat to our employment from
China within a generation.