PhD in tech-writing (was These Two Matters, Matters to Me!)

Subject: PhD in tech-writing (was These Two Matters, Matters to Me!)
From: MList -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 09:45:07 -0400

I'm trying to imagine the added-value of a techwriting PhD
(educationally and in terms of research, NOT in terms of
yet-another-credential for the student...). I'm failing,
miserably.

If I bend over backwards and squint through a rose-colored
prism, I can almost see the value in a Masters. It would
not be, as in many long-established disciplines a higher-level
outgrowth of an intensive undergrad course of studies. Rather,
it would be on the order of a "certificate" such as the management
and other programs that are called Masters of ___, but which
can be taken by someone who studied something utterly un-related
as an undergrad.

But a Phud? C'mon.

There's still tool-related knowledge (that is constantly leaving
itself behind in the technological dust) and the basics like
research skills, rhetoric (under various guises) and technical
aptitude, but the first is not Phud-level, the second is part of
a good basic education, and the third is an inborn trait that you
bring to the table as a pre-requisite.

Is the idea to get the notion of a Technical Writing PhD into
the public (or at least employer) consciousness and then backfill
with content at a later date? Or have I missed a whole rich field
of study while being a journeyman... er... trade/craftsman all
these years?

/kevin