Re: These Two Matters, Matters to Me!

Subject: Re: These Two Matters, Matters to Me!
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "Ananda Ganesh" <anandg -at- netcontinuum -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:01:58 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ananda Ganesh" <anandg -at- netcontinuum -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: September 05, 2003 02:28 AM
Subject: These Two Matters, Matters to Me!

> Friends,
>
> I like to pose questions on two matters, and request your valuable
> suggestions.
>
> 1. About a Ph.D. program
>
> I want to do a Ph.D. in Technical Writing. In India, there is less scope
> and organisations even for a course, let alone a doctorate program. Being
> futuristic, and optimistic, I have decided to do something in it. The
> questions are,
>
> a. Are there any institute in US (or anywhere in the world, including
> India) offers a Ph.D., program? If so,
> a.1. What are the qualifications expected for applying for it?
> a.2. Among the institutes which offers quality program
> (comparatively) ?
> a.3. How many years of experience will help in such an
undertaking
> (whatever be the problem taken in the program)? I mean, to apply for Ph.D.,
> how many years of experience in the field will be helpful and required?
> a.4. Is it possible to do a Ph.D., as part-time? From which
> institute?

You must have a master's degree first for any US programs. A PhD program is
not a program in which you can learn fundamental or even intermediate concepts
about technical writing. You would probably do better with a master's program.
A PhD program would require you to produce original research.

Bonnie Granat
GRANAT EDITORIAL SERVICES
http://www.editors-writers.info
Overnight service available