Re: Object-oriented folks: Properties, Fields, Values, Variables, Attributes?

Subject: Re: Object-oriented folks: Properties, Fields, Values, Variables, Attributes?
From: Tom Galloway <tyg -at- panix -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 22:54:21 -0400 (EDT)

>I realize now that not everyone agrees on what the non-method data
>referenced within an object should be called. There are several choices, and
>some might be language specific biases:
>
> "Field" -- from my Java 2 Black Book manual
> "Property" -- from my Visual Basic manual
> "Value" -- I've seen other places
> "Variable" - some C++ programmers would say this
> "Attribute" -- in an abstract object-oriented design web page I saw

I'm going to shorten this by saying that in my own decade-plus experience
with Object Oriented programming and programmers, using either property or
attribute should get the point across to anyone with general knowledge of
O-O programming (i.e. if they've only used one odd language with O-O
features that called it something odd, they might need to think a
bit). Especially if the first few times you phrase it as something like "The
foo object's bar property" or "The Foo object's bar attribute" to emphasize
its association with an object (or substitute "instance" for "object" if
refering to a specific instance).

tyg tyg -at- Panix -dot- com