RE: Prolegomenon vs. Preface

Subject: RE: Prolegomenon vs. Preface
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: "Jenny Igoe" <jenny -at- fgm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 12:55:34 -0500

According to Roget's:

Prologue: NOUN: A short section of preliminary remarks: foreword,
induction, introduction, lead-in, overture, preamble, preface, prelude,
prolegomenon.

Prolegomenon: NOUN: A short section of preliminary remarks: foreword,
induction, introduction, lead-in, overture, preamble, preface, prelude,
prologue.

The only things I saw were on dictionary.com, the prolegomenon used the
word "specifically" and the root words were "logos" (speech) for
prologue and "legein" (to speak). Prolegomenon was also paired with
literary works scholarly in nature.

Off the record, on my most humble opinion, one is pretentious, and one
is not.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone

Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM) now with email
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...