Frame says fonts missing, PDF loses color

Subject: Frame says fonts missing, PDF loses color
From: Regina Lynn Preciado <regina -at- wordwrangler -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:15:32 -0700

Howdy!

I re-subscribed a while ago and did not mean for my first post to be a cry for help, but ... Help! I searched the archives and tried some of the proposed solutions I found therein, but apparently my problems are a little weirder than most (so what else is new).

SYSTEM

FrameMaker 6
Acrobat Distiller 5
Windows 2k

PROBLEMS

* When I update the book, Frame tells me the Index contains fonts not on the system and asks whether I want to reformat it using substitute fonts. If I say yes, I lose all my other formatting too (columns, color). If I say no, it won't open the file. I did NOT have this problem yesterday or the day before or the day before that, and I had not changed anything this morning (at least I don't think I did).

* When I create a PDF (printing to .ps and using Distiller, or trying the "save as pdf"), the color graphic on the title page comes out in the right colors, but all the screenshots and red headings and other color in the rest of the book comes out in black and white.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS
None of these had any effect on the PDF or index.
Not sure now which order I tried them in.

* Reinstalled the PPD, made sure it says "color" in the properties
* Verified that I am indeed missing two fonts
* Fiddled with Print Setup in Frame
* Fiddled with Distiller Job Options
* Opened the index w/replaced fonts, then recreated the rest of the formatting
* Rebuilt the font table in the Fonts tab in the Distiller properties
* Replaced the ADist4 files that come with Frame with ADist5 files
* Reinstalled Frame

I am looking for those fonts (easy ones: Helvetica Narrow and Palatino) and will see if installing them makes a difference. Meanwhile ... why are my PDFs turning to black and white except for the cover art?

Thanks -- it's nice to be back,

Regina

regina lynn preciado
word wrangler * digital nomad