RE: Technical writing - off site

Subject: RE: Technical writing - off site
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 08:51:59 +0200

I work exclusively ofsite, and even off-continent. A few points:

Almost all of my writing work has come from contacts I made before moving from the US. That is to say, they nearly all come from either a contracting agency that assigns me to their projects, or from previous employers or fellow employees. I think I have had one writing job that was had through strictly remote encounters, and that was actually DTP and not writing.

Most of my work these days is programming FrameMaker tools. If I had to rely entirely on writing I would not be feeding my family (or even my self).

In the writing jobs I have had, I often play a significant role in the overall process - as significant as I would play were I onsite, I believe. But contractors in general play second banana to the full-time employees anyway. OTOH, you're hired for your expertise, right? So when that expertise is called for, you generally have a loose reign, right?

My 0.02EUR
--
Chris Despopoulos, maker of CudSpan Freeware...
Plugins to Enhance FrameMaker & FrameMaker+SGML