RE: SME vs. Audience

Subject: RE: SME vs. Audience
From: "Dave Neufeld" <Dave_Neufeld -at- spectrumsignal -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:53:45 -0700

D~-----Original Message-----
D~From: Goober Writer [mailto:gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com]
D~The whole "SME or User Advocate; pick one" mentality
D~is crap. You can be both.

No, no, no... the "pick one" mentality is much more fun... ;)

I'd say "one with the audience" (note: not "user advocate")... But let me clarify what "one with the audience" means to me.

If my audience requires a prerequisite background to use the product, or whatever, that I'm documenting, then I need that prerequisite background as well. Sometimes the audience level is at the SME level (geek to geek) where you need to be an SME.

My current working theory is that you should have an expertise that matches the prerequisite expertise of your audience. And I think this level varies considerably within our profession.

Some projects require minimal expertise (audience = J. Average). Others can suffice with a few days and evenings ramping up on Google. And other projects require a level of expertise that can only be effectively gained by going through a specific college/university science/engineering program (or the equivalent *years* of experience)

There's a good Dilbert about Tina the techwriter being tired of her career. She wants to become an engineer. She asks Alice (the engineer) to teach her engineering, "even if it takes all day". I share this skepticism about "quick learners" that believe they can write about anything. I've seen the results of that several times.

It all depends upon the scope of knowledge and experience you need to acquire. And those that say they can quickly master the background to write about any subject, don't seem to have enough insight to see how wrong they are... A little knowledge being a dangerous thing...