Re: Technical writing - off site

Subject: Re: Technical writing - off site
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "Mike O." <obie1121 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:01:28 -0400

At 10:41 AM -0400 2003-09-09, Mike O. wrote:

Robert Plamondon wrote:
and have a lot of system administration experience as well, so it's
> possible to dump the engineering spec on my desk and run

They give you *specs* ?? Now that's what I call hand-holding! :-) I
sometimes get jobs where they have been coding like hell for six months,
then the boss (or a customer) suddenly decides they need a spec.

Mike O.

Heh. Sometimes the spec is the LAST thing to be written.

One type of project I occasionally got at a previous full-time gig typically started with a last-minute call from a project manager:

"Got this new client. Their product, an online training program for Spiffy Device #867, is ready to go to market but the [insert name of appropriate regulatory agency] says they gotta have a full set of Software Development Lifecycle docs.

"ProgrammerA is taking care of the Software Development Plan. Here's the URLs for both student and Admin access to the application. Go play with it this afternoon and write up a quick-and-dirty manual set (Student/Instructor/Admin) by Friday. QCEngineerB will do a test plan from that so that ProgrammerB can backfill the design spec. That and your functional spec are due a week from Monday."

No, I am not making this up. <sigh>
--

Kat Nagel
"No, the bunny didn't get the job because the bunny is cute.

.