Re: SME vs. Audience

Subject: Re: SME vs. Audience
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 22:43:19 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Sent: September 09, 2003 09:24 PM

> It seems to me that writers of the font-fondling persuasion artificially
> created the whole "SME vs. audience" issue so they could create jobs where
> their technical ignorance would become an asset.

Actually, I think a poster used the question today as a springboard for
discussion. I observe none of the sleazy attitudes you mention.

Rather than struggle with the
> difficulty of learning esoteric things like SQL or physics, these writers
could
> focus on "fun" work (i.e. fondling fonts, setting up methodologies, building
> exquisite templates, etc.)

You must be speaking of people on a different list, Andrew. I'm sure they
would love to hear what you have to say about this matter.

> The only way to get people to believe that "fun" work is critical is to
create
> some artificial "need" for "user advocates." As if the users needed
advocates
> because they were being victimized and violated by SMEs.

User advocates are quite valuable, actually, especially when complicated
software is being used by people who aren't as technically experienced as some
others may be.

> The last few years has seen the SME vs. audience antagonism repeatedly
> discredited. Subject matter knowledge is no longer a wish of employers, its
> become a requirement. There simply is no reason to employ people that insist
> their ignorance is an asset.

I agree with the original poster that Geoff's answer nailed it down pretty
well. He kind of has a way of doing that, doesn't he?

Bonnie Granat
Granat Editorial Services
http://www.editors-writers.info
Fast | Accurate | Affordable