Interdepartmental Projects

Subject: Interdepartmental Projects
From: "G. Abenhaim" <g -dot- abenhaim -at- nhc -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:54:47 -0400

"I wanted to start this thread a few weeks ago when I first encountered
this problem, but for one reason or another did not. I was curious how
many other people have found themselves in my position. I currently work
in what is called the Operations department, but recently found myself
doing some documentation for the Marketing department. I am in the
Operations department and their respective budget. Working outside of
the Operations department but still getting paid essentially by the
Operations department cause a small amount of friction. I should note
that the Marketing department does not have their own tech writer.

Anyway, I was curious how many of you are in a similar situation as
myself and have been approached by other departments within your company
wanting you to do some work for them."
-----------------------------
Hi Oja,

I am in a same yet different situation. I was hired as a software technical
writer yet my boss is the Hardware director. 99% of my work is done with the
software director as well as with the software team. Once in a while, my
boss decides to look at my work. When he does this, he always conflicts with
the opinions and ideas of the software team. For example, They say to leave
content in the manual, he says to remove them. Now, it has been a conflict
with me since and I am stuck in the middle.

So I sat down with my boss and he explained it this way. For any
administration questions, salary, evaluations, vacation etc, he is the boss
who makes the decisions. But when it comes to writing manuals and revisions,
the software director should decide but yet final approval shall be
overlooked by my boss-the hardware director. It is very confusing since I am
stuck in the middle. they don't want to put me under the direction of the
software. Why? I dont know. It would make more sens if i were. But you will
find me and my salary under the hardware budget..go and try and understand
something that is so stupid in the hierarchy of the organization or maybe it
is just politics..who knows?

That's one problem, then like you said Oja, being a writer for the marketing
team that has no writer-I do that too-except when I am overloaded that the
Marketing Manager does the work..go figure. So I know how you feel in the
middle of all this.

Just go with the flow and try to be a happy family when conflict time
arrives.

/G