Re: RE: What's on your TC bookshelf?

Subject: Re: RE: What's on your TC bookshelf?
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:00:39 -0700

"Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net> wrote in message
news:212593 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> I bought Horton's Online book when it first came out and
> refuse to buy anything else by him until he learns to index!

Not to defend Horton, but I have to ask: was the indexing done by him?

I do believe that many, if not most, book publishers have professional
indexers in their employ to perform that task.

Indexing is in many ways a Black Art, and even many of the best writers
cannot create even adequate indexes.

As a side note, I once submitted a manual I had written to a local STC
competition. The feedback I remember was "not one page of inxed for every 10
pages of content (this for a 60-odd page book with many illustrations among
the procedures). I was bothered not because I didn't win, nor by the
criticism itself (which I generally value), but that the criticism was
quantitative rather than qualitative.

Chuck Martin