Re: PHD in Tech writing

Subject: Re: PHD in Tech writing
From: Johndan Johnson-Eilola <johndan -at- clarkson -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 16:35:22 -0400

I'm not going to enter into this debate (which frequently degenerates into the "us" versus "them"), but I did want to provide a counter-point to Curtis' post regarding job prospects for PhDs in Tech Comm in academia. The job market for PhDs in tech comm is very good, with most grads having multiple good offers for tenure-track positions. (There's been a growing concern about the number of relatively unqualified entrants into the field who are hired because programs are desperate to make hires. So the demand is a double-edged sword.)

And although salaries are not exceptionally high, they're moving upward quickly. In somewhat formal surveys I've run over the last three years, I anticipate this year average starting salaries for new PhDs in tech comm who take tenure-track positions will be in the low- to mid-$50k range. This isn't great pay, but it's substantially above the average for colleagues in English Departments where many of tech comm programs are housed. The workload isn't exactly light, but there's freedom to define research interests (and time to do research) not found at many industrial sites.

So while the pool of jobs available for academic tech comm is much smaller than for industrial tech comm, the number of applicants looking for jobs in that pool is *extremely* small. I say this having been on hiring committees and having gone on the market myself during the last three years. (I can already hear someone saying, "Well, programs must be desperate if *he* got a job.")

- Johndan

Subject: Re: PHD in Tech writing and biomed
From: "Brautigam, Curtis" <cubrautiga -at- state -dot- pa -dot- us>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:01:03 -0400

[...]
Of course, the downside to
this is that the academic job market as a whole is far worse than the
technical writing job market, and the opportunities in doing theoretical
research in technical communications are few and far between. I