RE: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?

Subject: RE: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?
From: "Oja, W. Kelly" <w -dot- kelly -dot- oja -at- verizon -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 08:41:44 -0500

Francis,

Not to be confrontational, but where were you reared? I am 31 and typing
was a required course where I went to high school in Montana. In
addition, when I went back to college at a SE Minnesota C&T school
before transferring to the UMTC, computer keyboarding was also required.
Even with these two classes, I never managed to make it over 40 words a
minute, but part of that is due to misshapen fingers from breaking them
by playing too many of football.

The job from what was described sounds to me more like a data entry job,
which could be a secretary position. But I do not see the need to argue
over semantics.

W. Kelly Oja
Verizon Airfone
http://www22.verizon.com/airfone/

I may type slow, but I do not have many typos.

Stay in Touch
Verizon Airfone JetConnect (SM)
Inflight e-mail, Instant Messaging, and more...