Re: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?

Subject: Re: Typing requirement in a tech writing ad - how to respond?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: Cheryl Wallace <cwallace -at- costlink -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:07:17 -0400

Cheryl Wallace wrote:

Typing (on typewriters! yes, electric) was available in Montreal high
schools in the late 70's and early 80's. I know. I forced myself through
two years of touch typing. Tape over the keys, hands under the paper. Data
enty was the only thing that cured me of looking at the keys - and got me
over the 35 wpm hump.

What got me over the hump was the availability of secretaries. I was a junior copywriter at J. Walter Thompson in the late 1960s, and my job was to have Ideas, to Think Great Thoughts, or at least to come up with the next successful car ad. In any case, they gave us writers beat-up old manuals and canary sulfite (read: cheap) paper and encouraged us to X out words we didn't like and keep typing. The freedom from worrying about typing errors is what freed me up to type quickly and, paradoxically, with pretty good accuracy. Ever since, I've been relaxed at the keyboard (no carpal tunnel problems) and, at least until I reached 50 (years old, not wpm), a decent typist.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]