Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?

Subject: Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?
From: "Rick Bishop" <BishopR -at- jcdc -dot- jobcorps -dot- org>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:57:07 -0500

Rose: As a TW manager, I sometimes ask the typing speed of an applicant during interview and note it on my response sheets, but have not advertised for a certain requirement or tested anyone. I don't ask it of someone who has had many obviously successful positions in this field.
I believe that typing speed is somewhat important, having once had the dubious pleasure of working with somone who flat-out could not type, but one-fingered it through the day.
Perhaps the advertiser has had a similar experience with someone able to produce only a page or two per day under the best of conditions. This can be a serious embarrassment to the hiring manager. This written requirement also legally eliminates some handicapped persons from the candidate pool.
And, frankly, all other things equal, I much prefer someone who types 90 wpm over someone barely making 30. It will make a difference in productivity.
Were it I, I would ignore the typing requirement in the cover letter and in the resume. Just be prepared to respond with ">50" when asked. With your level of experience, the question may never come up.
Rick

>>> <Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com> 09/10/03 08:03PM >>>

Today I saw an ad for technical writing that requested 50 wpm. It is
advertised as a mid- to senior-level job and sounds rather interesting,
so I decided they must have some good reason to require that.

"I am sure my typing is more than adequate for the job", and one of my staff of volunteer cover letter editors pointed out that I sound cocky.

But it's mainly because I am not sure how to cover that requirement. I
am assuming they are asking for speed because the writer is going to be
doing a lot of interviewing and maybe having a good speed will help with
note taking during interviews. However, the ad doesn't really make it
clear *why* they want the speed. I also am not sure I want to confess
how long it has been since I have been tested, and truly, my numbers may
be the vague misremembering of the middle aged.

What would you put in your cover letter if you were me?

Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 17th Floor