Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?

Subject: Re: Typing Requirement in a Tech Writing Ad - How to respond?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techpubs -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:22:29 -0700

The phrase "glorified secretary" comes to mind.

Most tech writers I know (including myself) are pretty poor
typists, because we tend to compose (and review, and revise) at
our keyboards rather than write manuscripts with a #2 pencil,
scribble on them and then key them in as we did back in the "olden
days" of the 1980's when we all had to sign up for computer time in
blocks of 30 minutes. I think this workflow is one reason why in all
the years I've been doing this I've yet to encounter a tech writer with
a repetitive stress problem; we don't spend all that much time just
hammering away at a kb.

Gene Kim-Eng