What Are the "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills?

Subject: What Are the "Cutting Edge" Technical Writing Skills?
From: "Ted Engel" <ted_engel -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 10:17:09 -0500

Hello all:

What are the skills that place one at the forefront of technical writing?

Obviously, strong writing skills, a passion for learning, and a mastery of software programs such as Microsoft Word, Adobe Framemaker and Acrobat, and RoboHelp provides a strong foundation, but what are the skills beyond these that truly make a writer marketable?

Is it XML? XSLT? Flash? Adobe InDesign? VisualBasic? Indexing? Web usability? These are obviously just a small number of what are many possibilities, but I'd like to know what you think are the most valuable skills for a writer looking to move ahead of the curve, both today and in the coming two to three years.

Regards,

Ted Engel

Send and receive larger attachments with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es