Re: Marketing Yourself

Subject: Re: Marketing Yourself
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 10:09:51 -0400

At 09:02 PM -0500 2003-09-14, Michele Davis wrote:

I do a combination of both writing and design. I've always tried to keep my web site and resume focused on writing, but since I do design I'm thinking perhaps I should do a web page for that and bury it so it isn't easily accessible.

Why bury it? List Document Design or Publication Design as an available service, just like writing and editing.

What does everyone think about those two skill sets, are they mutually exclusive?

No, they enhance each other.

Will it damage me to do a web page that has design samples?

I don't see why it would.

Would it be "ok" to put the design work on the resume with the writing, especially since I write in conjuction with the design work?

I use the same basic resume outline for most of the positions I apply for. It has a chronological listing of employers since many recruiters and HR departments now automatically reject applicants with gaps in their job histories, and I put my freelance business, MasterWork Consulting, at the top. I customize this basic outline for each position, selecting projects for each employer that match the requirements of the job I'm applying for. For technical writing jobs, I select a variety of TW projects. For editing jobs, I emphasize projects that showcase my editing skills. For web design and web content development jobs.... Well, you can see the pattern.

I did a big (300 postcards) mailing for web design that was an amazing flop, I only received one follow-up but the contact was a cool lead and nothing materialized. I did make follow up calls but got nowhere. These were all small business owners that did not have web sites and had businesses that would be greatly helped by the addition of a web site. I don't know if it was the economy

Probably. I got quite a few calls after a direct mail campaign I did after I was laid off from my last longterm gig two years ago. Unfortunately, most of them were "Gee, we'd really like to hire you, but we can't afford the expense right now."

or that they didn't *get* my postcard as it was a sushi reference and Minnesotans aren't exactly savvy about food outside of the "hot dish."

Ouch. I try not to be too cute unless I have room to thoroughly explain the connection between the cute tag line and the service I'm selling. Stressed executives tend to miss (or misunderstand) clever references.

Altho' we do have numerous sushi restaurants... Any advice for culling new clients since the postcard was a flop?

Network.
Network.
Network.
Why? 95% of the projects I've gotten as a freelancer, and 100% of the direct hire positions I've had in my 30+ year work history, have been referrals from satisfied customers or contacts I've met through professional associations, volunteer activities, or at social events. My current part-time survival job was a referral from the mother of one of my computer coaching clients. My last freelance gig was the result of a contact at a wedding reception. My last full-time gig was from a recruiter who got my name from another candidate, an STC member, who turned down the job but gave the recruiter my card.

Network!

I also hesitate to put the PhD on my resume as the MFA in Writing has gotten negative responses. What do you think?

Unless you are applying for an academic teaching position, I think a PhD in English may scare off more potential employers than it attracts. A PhD in Engineering or Computer Science or Chemistry or Pharmacology, on the other hand, might help you if you are marketing yourself in those industries.
--
K@ Kat Nagel

.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com