RE: DB app recommendations?

Subject: RE: DB app recommendations?
From: "Matthew S. Jarvis" <m -at- ttjarvis -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:24:56 -0700

> We have Access, but as I said, its limits seem to rule it out.
> And quantity
> of data doesn't seem to justify Oracle.

I am new to the list and this is my first posting. Please be gentle....

I am not a Tech Writer but a Database professional, so I think I can make a
couple of recommendations.

This type of project sounds like it will kill Access. You might give it a
shot but I have a feeling Access will wither and die under the strain.

The next step up would/could be MS Visual FoxPro (my language of choice). I
admit to a bias, but many people in my field feel that VFP is the biggest,
baddest, fastest relational database management system for the desktop. Not
only can it store the info/text for you in it's native table format (the
widely used DBF format) but it can, similar to Access, give you the tools
for putting a front end on your data so you can manipulate and/or edit it to
your satisfaction. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Microsoft has a freebie included for MSDN subscribers (but is also available
for download) that is basically the core engine for SQL Server. It's free,
it's fast. But, you still have to come up with an interface of some sort to
get the data in/out of your databases. Access would work for this if you
like. Think of this tool as 'baby SQL Server'.

The same is true for the 'free' MySQL. The syntax is just a bit different
than for SQL Server so if you ever decide to upsize you'll have some rewrite
to do, but not too much.

I hope this helps. Feel free to email me privately if you have any
questions....

Matthew S. Jarvis
Microsoft Certified Professional
Eugene, Oregon USA