Re: DB app recommendations?

Subject: Re: DB app recommendations?
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:09:07 -0700 (PDT)

Bruce,

As my sources tell me, the speed issue depends more on how they are coded and what they're doing. In fact, *speed* was why Yahoo! selected MySQL originally, they tell me.

Oracle is fine IF you're running some very fast hardware with lots of resources. PostgreSQL keeps getting better--and in some cases, it may have a capability that will do directly what MySQL must do with several steps. In that case, it would obviously tend to be faster.

For performance issues, though, the actual table structure and the commands used have largely to do with the resulting performance. That is why the DBAs get the big bucks, I guess!

David

-----Original Message from Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>-----

So far, nobody has mentioned mySQL or postgres, the two leading open
source databases. I'm far from a database expert, but I'd judge mySQL
noticeably slower than Oracle. However, that shouldn't matter much
unless you're dealing with massive amounts of data. I"ve heard, but
can't confirm that postgres is fster. But, with either one, the price is
right.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com