RE: Still Seeking Your Thoughts About Technical Skills

Subject: RE: Still Seeking Your Thoughts About Technical Skills
From: "Ted Engel" <ted_engel -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:23:29 -0500

John:

While defining technical skills is as difficult a task as defining pornography ("I know it when I see it..."), I believe the following are some examples of skills that are either based in the knowledge of a software package or knowledge of a concept that goes beyond simply writing:

Adobe InDesign
Adobe Photoshop
XML
XSLT
Web usability
WebWorks Professional
Indexing
Page layout
Graphic design
Macromedia Flash
Typography
Information Mapping
VisualBasic
HTML
Software architecture

Obviously, there are many more, but these come immediately to mind. Do these apply to every technical writing position? Certainly not. However, some are certainly more valuable than others in obtaining and maintaining a position.

Regards,

Ted

Need more e-mail storage? Get 10MB with Hotmail Extra Storage. http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com