Re: Single-sourcing DIDN'T work for me just now

Subject: Re: Single-sourcing DIDN'T work for me just now
From: "Andrea Brundt" <andrea_w_brundt -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:14:25 -0400

At the risk of sounding smug and sour-grapesical (or is that grapesicle?),
this is not very good ammo for opponents of single-sourcing, because a
proponent of single-sourcing wouldn't expect this strategy to be successful.
For single-sourcing to work, the content has to be written with multiple
outputs in mind. It's a limitation, but a fairly well-known one.

Anyway, end of smugness. I've been in your situation before, and it's a
pain!

Andrea

David wrote:
"So, I got the idea to recycle the text from the online help for part of the
manual. After copying all the little chucks of text, which involved
different secondary windows for different situations, and various other sort
of multi-directional hypertext branching, then trying to organize this into
a narrative passage suitable for a manual, I finally decided it was going to
take me forever and give me a royal headache, so that I should just write
the text from scratch, as it should be written for a manual."

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com