Re: Is single-sourcing worthwhile? (was: Single-sourcing DIDN'T work for me just now)

Subject: Re: Is single-sourcing worthwhile? (was: Single-sourcing DIDN'T work for me just now)
From: Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 06:48:23 -0700 (PDT)

> Right now, the big single-sourcing vendors are like
> vendors of mainframe
> computers before the PC arrived: overpriced and
> secure in the knowledge that
> they don't have any competition.

Well, not really. Yes, there are vendors out there who
promote $100k+ solutions, but you don't need it.

I single-source. The software on my machine that I use
to do it collectively costs about $3k. And, I'm
looking to cut that in half over the next year.

I currently use structured FrameMaker, WebWorks
Publisher, and Acrobat. I plan to use structured
FrameMaker and Acrobat in the future, along with some
XSLTs. Ultimately I plan to drop FrameMaker and
possibly Acrobat from the equation (as soon as I can
get a good print XSLT built).

As far as content management is concerned, it's a nice
to have thing for single-sourcing, but it's not
mandatory. I've yet to use a CMS. Frankly, I find most
not adequate enough, and the rest overpriced.

And there *are* cheaper means of single sourcing; it's
certainly NOT tied to technology, rather to a workflow
and mindset. I've single-sourced with TextPad and
Access. I've single-sourced with only Notepad. The
tools don't matter (beyond whether or not they are a
cost-effective addition to your workflow that save you
time in developing and producing doc deliverables).

Many make horrible assumptions about single-sourcing,
and unfortunately these are the things that ultimately
get printed and read world-wide. What fits/works in
one implementation certainly is not guaranteed to
fit/work in another.

Perhaps I'll answer Sean's challenge and write up an
article of my own. It'll probably end up being a book,
seeing as there are so many myths to kill. We'll see.
No promises, but the more I read of what's out there,
the more I'm realizing that people are getting
confused and misinformed.

=====
Goober Writer
(because life is too short to be inept)

"As soon as you hear the phrase "studies show",
immediately put a hand on your wallet and cover your groin."
-- Geoff Hart

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com