RE: Indexing- Best Practices

Subject: RE: Indexing- Best Practices
From: "Spreadbury, David C." <David -dot- Spreadbury -at- marconi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:13:16 -0400

If you are using FrameMaker, you need to subscribe to frameusers as well (go
to www.frameusers.com). Also, you post is very timely. A very valuable
poster to FrameUsers posted, just this morning, a paper on FrameMaker
Building Blocks, titled Index Markers. You can find this paper also at
www.microtype.com, hosted by Shlomo Perets. This is another very good source
for FrameMaker and/or Acrobat tips and hints.

You might want to search the web for general indexing guidelines. There are
several good sites;

American Society of Indexers (http://www.asindexing.org/site/index.html)
Society of Indexers (UK) (http://www.socind.demon.co.uk/)
The Indexing & Abstracting Society of Canada
(http://www.indexingsociety.ca/)
Allegro Technical Indexing (http://www.allegrotechindexing.com/index.htm)

There are a lot of good books that can lead provide you with some good
indexing guidelines. Search through Amazon or Barnes & Noble. One that I
have, and particularly like, is Technical Writing 101: A Real-World Guide to
Planning and Writing Technical Documentation, from Scriptorium Press. I
believe it is out of print, at least the edition I have, but you might be
able to find a used one (used books have the same words as new books).