thoughts on multiple help systems for one application

Subject: thoughts on multiple help systems for one application
From: "Victoria Nuttle" <vnuttle -at- cauto -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:59:41 -0500

For our next software release, it looks like we're going with an
internet-based application. For that reason, I think it makes more
sense to split up the help files into a context sensitive help system
that runs along with the program like always, and a fancy-schmancy
web-based help system that contains all the procedures and similar info.
I'm lucky in that the two files can easily be separated and there isn't
really linking between them. Nothing would need to change on the
developer's side except the call to launch the help system from the Help
menu.

I was just wondering what the current thoughts are on having multiple
help systems for a single application. Good? Bad? Runaway train?

Thanks.

-Victoria

Victoria J. Nuttle
Technical Writer, Creative Automation