RE: Linux users' expectations of online help

Subject: RE: Linux users' expectations of online help
From: Sean Wheller <seanwhe -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 12:23:34 -0700 (PDT)

--- John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com> wrote:

> Sorry, John..but half way through that explanation,
> my eyes had glazed over
> and I'd forgotten what the question was.
>
> I think they should have cut the portion a little
> smaller. if you need an
> explanation that long to compose an email, there
> must be something wrong.
>
> >Is the help for Outlook better?

This may be a generalization, but I have found that
Help in Linux assumes a greater degree of computing
knowledge from users. This means that much is assumed.
To those less advanced users, the Linux help can be
confusing and frustrating.

I am not saying that Windows users are less
intelligent that Linux users. NO, I agree that Help in
Linux can be greatly improved.

However, it is also important to remember that most
Windows apps are commercial and therefore the product
development is funded. With Open Source products like
those in KDE and GNOME, the documentation is provided,
like the code, by contributions. Open Source projects
depend on a gift culture. Does this make the
applications poor? I don't think so, but that's my
opinion.

Back to Jeans question "Linux users' expectations of
on-line help".

I think that most Linux users are more knowledgeable
about the technical side of computing and therefore
have a reduced information requirement.

This presents a very real problem to Linux. If Windows
users are to migrate to Linux, they will need to feel
comfortable. While I feel great about Linux, most of
the users I know are totally lost when they first
encounter Linux. Even if it has a desktop.

Linux is not better or worse than Windows. In fact the
code for Red Hat 9.0 is practically neck to neck with
with WINOS from a technology and functionality
perspective. Yet, when talking Help on Linux, I would
say that if the users are traditionally Linux, then
you need less information. If they are Windows users,
then the current help will fail dismally.

Will Windows users move to Linux? They are and will
continue to do so. Why? I have no idea. The question
is "Do most stay with Linux?"

If they do then the help system needs improvement. If
they don't, then it still needs improvement so that
more Windows migrants will settle on Linux.

I just wish more Technical Authors would contribute to
Linux Projects.

Penguins Rule!!!

Sean Wheller

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com