Re: Article for Intercom, national magazine of the Society for Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Article for Intercom, national magazine of the Society for Technical Communication
From: Sean Brierley <seanb_us -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 06:17:09 -0700 (PDT)

Respectfully, your deadline is too tight.

Between September 25 and October 10 you plan to
research, write, have reviewed, have edited, and
incorporate edits into a 1,500-word article?

I'd ask for a significant extension.

I have no experience with offshore technical
writing--except for doing technical writing *in* the
USA for an Italian company and also doing tech writing
*in* the USA for a U.K. company out of N.I., but I do
have the following thoughts:

1) Walking a line between perceived protectionism and
racism will be tough, but I, for one, would appreciate
a solid focus on that.

2) Over the past 12 months, I have noticed--on all the
lists to which I belong--an increase in the number of
questions asked by Asian (think Indian) technical
writers. They are not really answering questions yet,
but there is definitely more activity from that
quarter than there was before.

Cheers and good luck!

Sean

--- paulturner1 -at- comcast -dot- net wrote:

> Hi people,
>
> I have been asked to write an article about the
> offshoring of technical
> writing jobs. This article will appear in the
> January 2004 issue of Intercom,
> the national magazine of the Society for Technical
> Communication.
>
> My deadline for submitting a 1,400-1,500-word
> article is October 10th. I was
> offered this opportunity today.
>
> Now I would like your help. Any guidance from your
> chapter is appreciated.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com