Re: documenting desktop to web application

Subject: Re: documenting desktop to web application
From: "Chuck Martin" <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:53:28 -0700

I read about this when it was originally published. But this is an Internet
Explorer application, not a Web application--and the distinction is quite
critical.

ActiveX controls can be designed that will mimic many behaviors of
standalone applications. But many of these controls require installation on
a user's local computer before the Web page is fully functional. And they
are IE only. This is a bastardization of a wholly Web application.

The architecture of the Web, and of standard Web technologies, limit or
restrict capabilities that can be easily built in to standalone
applications. I've worked with many Web developers over the years who've
spent many hours programming to make Web applications work like standalone
ones, and it's just apples and oranges. You can come close--near 100% if the
applications are simple--but not match exactly.

Chuck Martin

"David Neeley" <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com> wrote in message
news:214350 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> If you don't believe it, simply look at this mail service on the web at
www.oddpost.com and take their demo tour...so long as you're using IE, that
is! Which, I think, was the point...less cross-browser functionality is
often a problem. Still, it can be done.

> David
>
> -----Original Message from Goober Writer <gooberwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>-----
>

> Sorry Chuck, but you're wrong. Name a dead-end and
> I'll point you to the correct road. I've been working
> with web apps since 1997. It's very much possible to
> author an application for the web that functions like
> any other application.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com