RE: Problem with Word Numbering

Subject: RE: Problem with Word Numbering
From: Kate Robinson <KRobinson -at- seattle -dot- telecomsys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 07:37:10 -0700

> View the style in the Styles and Formatting sidebar. If the
> List1 style has something other than "1." at the beginning,
> you know that you need to fix it.
>
> Right-click on the style and select Modify Style... from the
> drop-down menu. Click Format and select Numbering...
> from the drop-down menu. Click Customize... Change
> the number in the Start at field to 1.

Wouldn't it be nice if that worked? And maybe it will -- IF the reason for
the problem is that you haven't specified "start at 1" in your style. I
haven't found that to be the reason when I've had the problem, and therefore
this fix hasn't worked.

If you do try this fix in a 16 MB file, it can and probably will mess up the
numbering in all of your other List1 lists throughout the document AND
possibly destroy any formatting (boldface for instance) in your List1 styled
paragraphs.

I've recently had the same problem in a relatively petite (only 12 MB) file.
This is one of those Word limit problems. It's just too darn many MBs and
too darn many styles in one document. I've tried all the workarounds I was
able to find in the Microsoft KnowledgeBase, including manual renumbering.
(Except for the one that made me laugh so loudly that it startled my
cubeneighbors: Just don't use any custom styles! Yeah, right.) Sometimes one
or some combination of workarounds will work for that particular list, but
it almost always messes up the (List1) styles in the rest of the document.

The only solution I've found that actually works is to break up the document
into smaller working files, get all the changes and edits done, accept all
changes and turn off rev marking, then combine the files. Of course that has
its own dangers. I'm eager to hear if someone has something better. (We're
considering FrameMaker as a fix here.)

Kate Robinson
TechComm Editor
Telecommunication Systems, Inc.
People forget how fast you did a job, but
they remember how well you did it.
-- Howard Newton

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com