Re: Ethical dilemma - WOW!!!

Subject: Re: Ethical dilemma - WOW!!!
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:59:15 -0600

I agree with John Posada - something about these two statements from the
original poster doesn't jibe. She responded to a post of mine that
questioned how she received the information with the following:

The original post said this:

> Since June 12, 2003, she has been out 112 hours and charged
> that time to our regular charge number (and that number doesn't count
> the times she was out and charged the time correctly).

This seems like a bit of a discrepancy. The 112 hours of sick time were
discovered when the "sick" coworker A phoned them in to Coworker B? And
then Coworker B noted to Annette, "By the way, could you check the charge
numbers for these 112 hours of work since July that Coworker A called in?

This is what makes me a bit uncomfortable. "Mind your own business" is, to
me, advice that is a bit late. She now has this information in hand, no
matter how she received it. There seems to be a violation of her company's
ethics rules in those 112 hours. The conundrum is that perhaps there was
some violation of ethics rules in the discovery of the questionable hours.
That makes two ethical violations.

She's in a pickle. If she doesn't come forward she might be viewed as in
violation of the ethics agreement she no doubt signed, or even viewed as an
accomplice. If she does come forward she might make herself open to another
ethical violation for this discovery - I'd certainly expect management to
grill her. If she chooses to go to management, by all means she should have
a solid story as to how she discovered the exact number of hours that
Coworker A illicitly claimed.

I wish her luck.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com