RE: Integrating RoboHELP with MS SQL database

Subject: RE: Integrating RoboHELP with MS SQL database
From: "Nichols, Andrew" <anichols -at- itiusa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:07:08 -0500

Barry,

Thanks for the response. Yes, IIS is a possibility, but that is one more
thing that could go wrong for us to support and as you mention, this
would be very time consuming. I currently build websites using ASP.NET
with a VB and MS SQL backend, so I've got a good start there if we
decide to go that direction. Thanks for your thoughts.

Your suspicion about the purpose of the racial profiling software is
accurate.

> Does anyone know if it is possible to
> integrate RoboHELP 2002 with MS SQL to make the help files reflect
> changes that the user has made to the configuration?
I don't know, but I'm guessing more help systems will require db access
support user configuration. Assuming your project is web-based, what is
your web server? IIS? The web server creates connections to the
database,
which in your case is SQL Server. (I think they're called ADO in MS
parlance.) Through the db connection, a web page can display data from
the
db, but this is time-consuming to craft, not to mention the possible
performance degradation. But, it can be done.

On the racial profiling module, I suspect that recent laws require law
enforcement agencies to keep stats to monitor or prevent profiling, not
as
a means to encourage it.

Barry Cliver
Lead Technical Writer