RE: Standards and Procedures

Subject: RE: Standards and Procedures
From: "Lippincott, Rick" <Rick -dot- Lippincott -at- flir -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:25:51 -0400

Annette, I'm not sure if by "each individual standard/procedure" you
mean the policy and procedure documents, or if you mean sections,
paragraphs, and steps within those documents.

If your question is about the sections, paragraphs, and steps, then my
answer is "I've seen it done both ways, and it probably makes little
difference which way you go."

If you're referring to numbering of the actual policy and procedure
documents, then it probably -does- make a difference. For ISO
certification purposes (or, to meet contract requirements if you're
working on a government project) each policy and procedure needs a
unique identifier (same as hardware parts or even released software).

Not only that, but you'll need a system of tracking document revisions
(and by that I mean identifying a document as "Rev. 1, Rev. 2, etc...not
just change bars next to revised text in the document) so that there's
some assurance the users are referring to the most recent document.

So, I guess the answer to your first question is "Yes," and the answer
to the second question is "It's required for ISO certification or by our
contract with the customer."

--Rick Lippincott
FLIR Systems
Billerica, MA