CTRL + SHIFT + F9 in Word?

Subject: CTRL + SHIFT + F9 in Word?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 09:43:01 -0400

Jessica Nealon wonders: <<How does CTRL + SHIFT + F9 work to convert
embedded objects? Do you have to select each?>>

The function only works on objects that you've selected. (That's actually a
wise safety feature: it prevents you from inadvertently converting something
you didn't intend to convert.) Thus, if you "select all", everything gets
converted into static text. If there's a particular section you don't want
to convert, then simply select all the text leading up to that section,
convert it, select all text after the section, convert it, and you're done.
This also works for protecting your TOC.

Bonus point: You can confine most Word functions to a selected chunk of
text, including (most usefully) Find and Replace.

<<The problem is that I don't even know where the embedded objects are. Is
there a way to convert them all to graphics? Or do I have to find each,
select it, and hit the keys?>>

You can convert everything as described above. If you want to do it one at a
time, try the following: Open the Edit menu and select Find. Click the
"More" button, then click the "Special" button. You'll see a list of options
that's well worth getting to know, since they can save you lots of time. In
this case, you're looking for "Field".

Once you've found the first one (Word will select and highlight it for you),
close the Find dialog box. If you want to convert it, press
Control-Shift-F9. If not, don't. Now press Control-PageDown, and Word will
take you to the next field. (If it forgets what you're looking for, as Word
sometimes does, press Shift-F5 to return to your most recent point of
departure, open the Find dialog, and try again.)

If you want to convert the new field, you can either press Control-Y
("repeat the last format/edit I did") to repeat the Control-Shift-F9 action.
If something unexpected happens, immediately hit Control-Z to undo it, then
press Control-Shift-F9 again to convert the text. Repeat until you're done.

Note: This works on the Mac too, but substitute "Command" for "Control".

(try ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca if you get no response)
580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my
telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone."--Bjarne Stroustrup (originator of C++ programming language)

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com