RE: A Great Analogy (was: Stupid users)

Subject: RE: A Great Analogy (was: Stupid users)
From: "Lauren Tozer" <TAMETO01 -at- noa -dot- nintendo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:30:41 -0700

At least I think it's great.

Here's a case where the producer of the thing was trying to make itself
look good, but didn't take into consideration how the consumer would use
the product.

McDonalds did research on how to get the best taste out of the coffee,
and they figured that most people would not be drinking the coffee
immediately. (This is a guess, but I imagine that one of the parameter
given to the researcher was that the coffee would not be consumed
immediately.) As it has been said many times on this list, find out
what your user wants. McDonald's didn't, and the results speak for
themselves.

Granted there was some stupidity on the part of the user, but had the
product matched the users needs better (drinkable coffee), then the user
would have only suffered embarrassment rather than burns.

In terms of writing, if we don't know how the reader is going to use
the product, then we cannot write documentation to suit that need. It
doesn't matter if our documents look great or use clear language if they
are not usable to the reader in the context of their job.

Will that prevent user stupidity? No. We can't work miracles (except
when it comes to deadlines).

competitive pricing or view a live demo at: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l3

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com